[rules-users] Drools Community Clinic Feb 4th 5PM GMT

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 13:21:08 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 1/28/09, Dan Seaver <dan.seaver at ge.com> wrote:

> Yes, I understand why Rule 2 doesn't fire when the attribute is set to
> lock-on-active, but why does no-loop work with Rule 2, but not with Rule
> 1?

Just to jump in here, let me say this: I have no idea. :)

Now a suggestion...

This is one reason I like to primarily rely on the rule conditions to control activation.  i.e. rules look like this:

when
  A, B, and C
  but not D [D is performed in rule action]
then
  do D
end

It's self documenting, though does require more maintenance, as you may have to change the rule condition whenever you change the rule action.

The tools drools provides for activation control are general purpose, and as such are necessarily the sledgehammer approach. :)  Nothing wrong with that per se, I just prefer the a more fine grained approach, and the extra control that provides.