[rules-users] Rule runs twice without explicit call to update($fact).

Jason Smith jsmith at infotrustgroup.com
Mon Nov 23 14:36:28 EST 2009

My colleague has confirmed that this behavior has been around since Drools 4, and it continues to be a problem for Drools 5.0.1 and 5.1.0.M1, assuming it's a problem and not working as intended.

$fact.setPath("...") implements the correct PropertyChangeSupport mechanism for Drools.  At least Drools is using it and responding mostly as expected.

This runs once:

rule "Constrain to owner or published to public"

when

$fact : ListFact(

$path : path not matches ".*owner.*",

noopResponse == true

)

$model : Model()

then

modify($fact)

{

setPath($fact.getPath() + "[owner]")

}

update($fact);

end

This runs twice:

rule "Constrain to owner or published to public"

when

$fact : ListFact(

$path : path not matches ".*owner.*",

noopResponse == true

)

$model : Model()

then

modify($fact)

{

setPath($fact.getPath() + "[owner]")

}

end

If I don't use modify(...) and simply change the $fact bean path property, the same thing occurs.  If I explicitly call update($fact), the rule runs once.  If I don't it runs twice.

I get "/path[owner][owner]" when I actually wanted "/path[owner]", because it ran twice, not once.

Why doe update(...) work differently from the PropertyChangeSupport mechanism???  Shouldn't I be able to depend on Drools to run this rule only one time?

I am, admittedly, a bit of a noob at this, but I ran this by my local Drools resident expert, and he doesn't know the answer either.

Thanks so much!

Jason Smith
Software Engineer
InfoTrust Group, Inc.
500 Discovery Parkway, Suite 200
Superior, CO 80027
Office 303-627-6571
Fax 303-666-6711
Email jsmith at infotrustgroup.com<mailto:jsmith at infotrustgroup.com>
WEB www.infotrustgroup.com<http://www.infotrustgroup.com/>
This e-mail and all information included herein do not constitute a legal agreement accorded by INFOTRUST GROUP and its affiliates and subsidiaries.  All legal agreements must be formulated in writing by a legal representative of INFOTRUST GROUP. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please inform us and destroy this e-mail and any documents it might contain.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.  Thank you for your cooperation.