[rules-users] Does guvnor 5.1 uses hibernate ?

Harshit Bapna hrbapna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:11:58 EST 2010

Hello All,

I am investigating Drools Guvnor for its rule authoring capabilities.
*The site says the Gunor License is ASL but it packages hibernate jars.
Hibernate license is LGPL.*

I removed the hibernate jars from Guvnor & still it is able to perform db
operations.
Note: Guvnor is using Oracle database as a repository (not using the default
file system repo). Repository file attached.

*Question:
1. Does Guvnor uses hibernate jars? If yes then in what scenarios. (I am
able to do create rules in repo (database) without hibernate jars)
2. Is hibernate a leftover from old versions of drools ? Why is it packaged
with drools 5.1 guvnor release ?*

*Tasks performed to proove that Guvnor does not have any dependency on
hibernate.*

1. Stopped the JBOSS server
2. Removed hibernate jars from guvnor lib folder.
3. Started Guvnor
3. Created rules in guvnor. I verified that the new rules were getting
stored in the database.

Hence no dependency of guvnor on Hibernate.

--harshit