[rules-users] Does guvnor 5.1 uses hibernate ?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 04:01:53 EST 2010

Guvnor doesn't uses a CMS, not a relational database.
Currently guvnor 5.1 supports jackrabbit as CMS, but 5.2 will also
support modeshape.

The hibernate jar probably comes from drools-compiler which supports
HQL's in rules, and therefor might need to be marked optional so it's
not included in guvnor if not needed.
However, since we might want to support HQL editing in guvnor too (maybe
there's already an experiment), we 'll have to check more carefully if
we want to exclude hibernate or not.
In any case, since it's just for the HQL editing AFAIK, you can probably
safely remove it for any other scenario.

Op 09-12-10 07:11, Harshit Bapna schreef:

> Hello All,
>
> I am investigating Drools Guvnor for its rule authoring capabilities.
>
> *The site says the Gunor License is ASL but it packages hibernate
> jars. Hibernate license is LGPL.*
> I removed the hibernate jars from Guvnor & still it is able to perform
> db operations.
> Note: Guvnor is using Oracle database as a repository (not using the
> default file system repo). Repository file attached.
> *Question:
> 1. Does Guvnor uses hibernate jars? If yes then in what scenarios. (I
> am able to do create rules in repo (database) without hibernate jars)
> 2. Is hibernate a leftover from old versions of drools ? Why is it
> packaged with drools 5.1 guvnor release ?*
> /Tasks performed to proove that Guvnor does not have any dependency on
> hibernate./
>
> 1. Stopped the JBOSS server
> 2. Removed hibernate jars from guvnor lib folder.
> 3. Started Guvnor
> 3. Created rules in guvnor. I verified that the new rules were getting
> stored in the database.
> Hence no dependency of guvnor on Hibernate.
> --harshit

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet