[rules-users] Drools Flow: Validation Chain Approach

tolitius webakaunt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:29:43 EDT 2010

well, I guess that depends on a use case.

What if you want to have some skip / retry policy in place?

Also a workflow client ( that called this process ) now need to be aware
that somewhere inside this process ( subflow of a subflow of a subflow... )
there is a ValidationException that will be thrown: not a nice way to have
your workflow APIs built.

But if it works for you, it is fine. I just find it really strange that
Drools Flow fails to see the importance of Java exceptions, e.g. there is no
way to register a real [ Java ] exception handler to the process.

The only two non-existing at this moment solutions for the flow above would
be:

1. Use a process ( / subprocess ) wide Java exception handler, that you can
register ( e.g. ValidationExceptionHandler ), that would know exactly what
to do in case an exception occurs.

2. Use Activities ( e.g. work items ) that are capable of more than one
transition coming out of them, and use the second transition to point to the
Validation Error

I still need to set some time aside to think of some other solutions, but I
would appreciate some external thoughts as well.

Thank you,
/Anatoly