[rules-users] ActivationCancellationEvent

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 05:57:51 EDT 2010

Please don't email me direct. I won't reply in the future. All questions and
answers are of value to the community as a whole.

AFAIK, Activation Cancelled events would trigger in reaction to the
revocation of a logically inserted fact that caused an activation to trigger
in the first place. It would not help identifying which pattern in a rule
was not matched causing your rule not to activate.

I don't believe there is a public API (or any) that could be used to trace
which RETE nodes matched for a given rule's definition and hence which did
not for you to identify unmatched patterns. Someone correct me if I am
wrong.

Of the top of my head, you could possibly achieve what you are looking for
by structuring your rules differently; having each pattern in a separate
rule and tracking accumulated rule activations yourself. Not nice, not
helpful if rules are authored by anybody other than a techy, but it might
just work....

rule "bootstrap"
salience 100
    when
        not exists Tracker(rule ==  "rule 1")
    then
        insert(new Tracker("rule 1"));
end

rule "rule 1 - subrule 1"
    when
        $t : Tracker(rule == "rule 1")
        MySubPattern1( ... )
    then
        $t.addMatchSubRule("subrule 1");
        update($t);
end

rule "rule 1 - subrule 2"
    when
        $t : Tracker(rule == "rule 1")
        MySubPattern2( ... )
    then
        $t.addMatchedSubRule("subrule 2");
        update($t);
end

If Tracker(rule == "rule 1") does not contain stages 1 and 2 then you can
determine which pattern did not match.

Untried, untested.

Cheers,

Mike