[rules-users] Performance effect due to "eval"?

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:44:35 EDT 2010

A simplified explanation is this:

An eval() contains a general Boolean expression; it is, in general,
not possible to re-engineer one or more Contraints from it.

A Constraint relates a fact field to another value. Here, indexing
techniques can be applied, which greatly improve the Rete algorithm.
Also, certain factoring steps (contraction of repeated Constraints
from different left hand sides) are possible with several Constraint
forms.

Rete - even without indexing - is still better than "naive" or "brute
force" searches.

-W