[rules-users] Question about BPMN2 and Drools

Kris Verlaenen Kris.Verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Sun Sep 5 21:02:48 EDT 2010

Cristiano,

Drools Flow allows you to run executable BPMN2 processes.  The example
you are showing is actually a choreography, which describes the
interaction between different actors, in this case probably a human
actor using some kind of (web) application to send / receive data and an
auctioning service.

You probably then want to automate a part of that choreography (in this
case the auctioning service).  The most common approach is probably to
generate an executable process for that part that you want to automate.
 You then probably have to add the necessary details to make the process
executable, as the choreography usually only focuses on the
communication between the actors and does not include the internal
actions that need to be performed.

Once you have completed this executable process, you can execute it on
the Drools Flow engine.  Your (web) application simply communicates with
the engine by sending / receiving data, and the execution of the
auctioning service is handled by the engine.

By the way, if you're interested in the entire life cycle from
requirements / choreography all the way to implementation and runtime
validation, you might want to take a look at the Savara project as well.
 While this does not yet include automatic generation of BPMN2
executable models, this is something we're definitely going to be
looking at.
http://www.jboss.org/savara

Hope this clears it up a bit !

Kris