[rules-users] WorkItem - meaning of abortWorkItem

Kris Verlaenen Kris.Verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Sep 10 09:30:51 EDT 2010

The difference is that the workitem is set to state aborted instead of
completed.  And you could for example access the work item state in an
on-exit action on the work item and do something in that case (throw an
exception, set a process variable).

It is correct however that the process continues, regardless of whether
you completed or aborted the work item.  This is actually something that
we have foreseen as a future extension but is not yet implemented in the
editor: I would like to make it possible to have a separate outgoing
connection for when the work item has been completed.  This would then
allow you to specify a path that needs to be followed when the work item
has been aborted.  But we need support for that in the editor before
being able to do that.

So for now, I would suggest sticking to complete, and simply pass any
information using the result parameters, either normal completion
information or error information.  You can then map this info to process
variables and use anytime further in the process.

Kris