[rules-users] New in Drools, java.lang.NullPointerException at org.drools.reteoo.AccumulateNode.getFirstMatch(AccumulateNode.java:967)

Manuel Ortiz manuel.ortizramos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:37:23 EDT 2011

Hi Wolfgang:

I write to you concerning JIRA https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-2887,
which the SampleAlarmRules scenario which was attached to this discussion
was added in.

I've executed several times the SampleAlarmRules scenario and found that the
problem in that scenario is the existence of a JoinNode (Node 18) which
feeds two nodes, a JoinNode (Node 20) and an AccumlateNode (Node 25, the one
in which NPE occurs). I've seen that the child tuples of a join node are
interconnected via pointers and that those connections must be updated every
time a parent tuple of the join node is modified, via reAddLeft and
reAddRight tuple methods. When a JoinNode feeds two or more nodes, the child
tuples are interconnected in a ordered way that mixes tuples with different
sinks.

In the SampleAlarmRules scenario, when JoinNode18 is right modified, the
CompositeLeftTupleSinkAdapter processes several child tuples, but only the
last one is returned and reAddLeft'ed, hence breaking the child tuple
relations which it seems necessary to keep rete coherence. After this right
modify, the next left modify fails because a child tuple related to one node
of the composite sink is used to check the next operation to do in another
sink node different from the first one. This leads to a chain of incorrect
assertions which ends in the AccumulateNode NPE.

I've rewriten my rules in order to JoinNode18 feeds only AccumulateNode25
thus avoiding the NPE and returning to my user role. However I am not sure
if any CompositeSink starting at a JoinNode will have this or other problems
when being left or right modified. I hope this information helps to solve
this problem.

Best regards,

Manuel Ortiz.