[rules-users] a newbi question

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 04:18:33 EDT 2011

On 8 August 2011 10:02, wutongjoe <wutongjoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I am a newbi on Drools and started my test work with a modified exapmle
> included in drools v4.0.7.The compiled drl from a very simple modified  xls
> file is like the follwing :
>

> ----------------------code-----------------------
> package org.drools.examples.decisiontable;
> #generated from Decision Table
> import org.apache.commons.lang.time.DateUtils;
> import java.util.Date;
> #From row number: 11
> rule "Pricing bracket_11"
>
>        when
>                DateUtils.SEMI_MONTH==1001

This looks very wrong. The result of compiling a correct decision table
should look like
    SomeFactName( someFieldName == 1001)

>        then
>                policy.setBasePrice(9999999);

Where does the variable "policy" come from? It isn't bound to anything.

> end
> -------------------------code---------------------
>
> but I got an exception stack when trying to addPackage after compile :
>
> --------------stack----------------
> Exception in thread "Main Thread" org.drools.rule.InvalidRulePackage:
> [9,22]: unknown:9:22 mismatched token: [@46,221:222='==',<76>,9:22];
> expecting type LEFT_PAREN
>        at org.drools.rule.Package.checkValidity(Package.java:424)
>        at
> org.drools.common.AbstractRuleBase.addPackage(AbstractRuleBase.java:394)
>        at
>
> org.drools.examples.PricingRuleDTExample.buildRuleBase(PricingRuleDTExample.java:67)
>        at
>
> org.drools.examples.PricingRuleDTExample.executeExample(PricingRuleDTExample.java:38)
>        at
> org.drools.examples.PricingRuleDTExample.main(PricingRuleDTExample.java:26)
> --------------stack----------------
>
> yes,I was trying to test the usage of
> org.apache.commons.lang.time.DateUtils
> inside a xls file,but it seemed something went wrong.

Spreadsheets over xls are not a convenient vehicle for testing conditional
expressions or rule patterns in general. Write some DRL rules for this
purpose.

> Can someone tell me
> what caused the exception?

Syntax errors. Make sure to read the documentation on spreadsheets; how to
define a Fact type for a conditional element (a "pattern") and how to add
constraints to it.

-W