[rules-users] app-dev 'toe in water' help please

dhartford binarymonk01 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 10:55:28 EDT 2011

Hey all,
I'm trying to dip some toes into the water with Drools, and have an
application that would be a good start but having some understanding/lacking
an appropriate example issue.

The application context, let's say, is Mortgages, and already using the
Mortgage rules that are stored in a running instance of Guvnor.

Going back to 'toe in water', lets assume that all 'facts' are loaded on
call (so nothing is pre-loaded, all data to run a rule is supplied at the
time the rule is called).  This is to make it easier to get started without
jumping all-in just yet ;-)

Using the mortgage business rule 'CreditApproval' that is already loaded
into Guvnor, I can see passing the Application object, with the creditRating
field/fact to a rule.

However, instead of populating and returning a loanApplication object, how
would I return just the decision/end result of a rule if it was only one
value (the approved/not approved decision) from the java app?  KnowledgeBase
is loaded from the java app, but struggling with StatefulKnowledgeSession
versus StatelessKnowledgeSession and how to simply get back the rule
decision value (again, preferably without a specific object if it is only
one value)?

I'm also looking to only fire/execute one rule at a time for now until we
get comfortable - any help for an app developer trying to ease their way
into drools?

Sorry if I not overly clear, still trying to learn the appropriate
terminology :-)

-Darren