[rules-users] Guided Rule Editor doesn't list no-setter-fields if a fact is annotated

Toshiya Kobayashi tkobayas at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 05:34:12 EST 2011

Thanks Michael and Mark.

> If the member has a getter it is available in the LHS (=Guided Rule Editor lists it in "Modify constraints" popup)

Got it. I see it's true with a basic uploaded Pojo.

But, hmm, in my case, it's not.
If I annotate the Pojo in "New Declarable Model", the getter-only-member becomes unavailable in the LHS (=Guided Rule Editor doesn't list it in "Modify constraints" popup).

# Maybe you misread the word "Modify"? I meant the popup in LHS.

So it can be an issue only when I want to use existing beans and need to annotate them (e.g. for CEP support).

=== Analysis ===
With a debugger, I observed that SuggestionCompletionLoader.populateDeclaredFactType() overwrites SuggestionCompletionEngineBuilder.fieldsForType if a Pojo is annotated as a declarative model.

SuggestionCompletionLoader.java

407 private void populateDeclaredFactType(List<TypeDeclarationDescr> th) {
469 this.builder.addFieldsForType( declaredType,
470 fieldNames.toArray( new String[fieldNames.size()] ) );
473 }

SuggestionCompletionEngineBuilder.java

111 public void addFieldsForType(final String type,
112 final String[] fields) {
113 this.fieldsForType.put( type,
114 fields );
115 }

fieldsForType is overwritten based on TypeDeclarationDescr of the declarative model.
The TypeDeclarationDescr is created in SuggestionCompletionLoader.makePseudoTypeDeclarationDescrFromSuperClassType(). It accepts only setter+getter fields.
It looks intentional... but misses to concern the above use case?

Cheers,
Toshiya