[rules-users] Working memory batch insert performance

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Dec 20 08:27:22 EST 2011

On 20/12/2011 13:09, Zhuo Li wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> I recently did a benchmark on Drools 5.1.2 and noticed that data
> insert into a stateful session is very time consuming. It took me
> about 30 minutes to insert 10,000 data rows on a 512M heapsize JVM.
> Hence I have to keep inserting data rows when I receive them and keep
> them in working memory, rather than loading them in a batch at a given
> time. This is not a friendly way for disaster recovery and I have two
> questions here to see if anybody has any thoughts:

10K rows? is that 10K bean insertions? 30 minutes sounds bad. We know
people doing far more than that much quicker.

> 1.Is there any better way to improve the performance of data insert
> into a stateful session;

There is nothing faster than "insert".
If you don't need inference, you can try turning on "sequential" mode,
but in general the performance gain is < 5%.

> 2.I noticed that there is a method called BatchExecution() for a
> stateless session. Did not get a chance to test it yet but is this a
> better way to load data in a batch and then run rules?

That is related to scripting an engine, it uses command objects to call
the inert() method - so definitely not faster.