[rules-users] Who writes your rules? Dev vs. BA

cclark01 chris.clark at teranet.ca
Tue Feb 1 11:08:37 EST 2011

My company is looking to use Guvnor in a new application we're writing.  Part
of the appeal is the idea that Business Analysts will be able to go and
write rules by themselves.  However, in doing a small proof-of-concept, it
appears that you need intimate knowledge of the object model in order to
write any meaningful rules.

I've read up on DSL and it looks like that might help things, but it also
sounds like DSL is the kind of thing that gets built up over time.

So... what's your experience?  Do BA's or Developers write the rules in your
applications?  Does the complexity of the object model play a role in who
can write rules, or is it just a matter of training?
If you've created a DSL, how easy/quick was it?  If not, any particular
reason why not?

I'm looking for some "real life" experiences so that we can have appropriate
expectations going into the project.

Thanks,
Chris