[rules-users] Who writes your rules? Dev vs. BA

Vincent Legendre vincent.legendre at eurodecision.com
Tue Feb 1 12:04:46 EST 2011

My own feelings about that is yes, rules writer must know the objects
they manipulate.
So, to answer your question, if the object model is very technical, Devs
must write rules. If not, BA can do.

The main point is how much technical is your model objects. If you are
starting a fresh new application, you should consider designing the
model objects in order to make them as close as possitble to the BA's
concepts, thus making possible (and natural) for BA to write rules directly.

My personnal experiences, not only with drools (exactly the same problem
appears with commercial products too), is to try to provide model
objects that "speak" to BA. This way I do not need a full complex DSL
(which is quite heavy to maintain if you have to create a phrase for
each "mapped" attribute of every object). To achive that, I often use a
Facade that transform my real technical objects into more
business-oriented objects used to feed the engine.

But you still need some training, even if you model objects match
perfectly the concepts used, at least to explain what is a rule, how it
is executed (to let them answer by their own "why it is looping ?" "Why
this rule does not trigger?" ...)