[rules-users] Who writes your rules? Dev vs. BA

vasilievip vasilievip at ukr.net
Tue Feb 1 16:13:27 EST 2011

I agree too that it depends on complexity of model and rules itself.
Publishing rules to BA may result in BA's learning on how to develop
programs (in fact BA is not the right person to write parseDate or some
similar function).

We tried to tailor Guvnor but result is that we use it only as repository
and not as authoring tool (I hope we will tailor DSL and this will be
changed..). Amount of rules may be up to 1k in one package - I'm not sure if
Guvnor will be user friendly in this case,but using drl you can have 10
files with 100 rules in each (maybe autogenerated from template). Developers
don't like Guvnor UI and prefer Eclipse plugin. Also we met an issue with
our code repository and Guvnor - so we are building repository import xml
for Guvnor from subversion - this helps to manage versions properly (tied to
builds).

So there are several points to look at. I think if you really need to have
BA's writing rules - you must solve this problem, in other case - junit +
drl (+flow maybe) is the best fit.