[rules-users] How do I prevent the package registry from being null in my package builder?

paulB paul.borlin at sironahealth.com
Wed Feb 2 14:10:36 EST 2011

Found the problem.

There was a constraint in a split node that was set as type="rule" and
dialect="java". We had java code in the expression like this:

return boolean;

So, my guess is that the rule compiler choked on it since it was not rule
logic, didn't catch the error, and the flow was not placed in the registry
as a result.  Later code tried to pull it out, and it was not there.

I would guess there's two psedo bugs here (even though it was our fault for
configuring the process wrong):
1. The compiler code didn't catch the compile error
2. PackageBuilder assumes that a package is in the registry, and crashes the
thread if it is not.

Hope this helps someone else.