[rules-users] KnowledgeAgent exception while trying to deserialize KnowledgeDefinitionsPackage

John Peterson john.peterson.gv3k at statefarm.com
Tue Jan 4 11:23:39 EST 2011

This is sort of a repost of an error I've been getting, but I thought
with the new year, I'd give it another shot.

I've been getting the following exception in my code:

[2010:12:361 09:12:910:debug] KnowledgeAgent rebuilding KnowledgeBase
using ChangeSet
[2010:12:361 09:12:972:exception]
***java.lang.RuntimeException*: KnowledgeAgent exception while trying to
deserialize KnowledgeDefinitionsPackage
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.createPackageFromResource(***Kn
owledgeAgentImpl.java:664*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.addResourcesToKnowledgeBase(***
KnowledgeAgentImpl.java:889*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.rebuildResources(***KnowledgeAg
entImpl.java:704*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.buildKnowledgeBase(***Knowledge
AgentImpl.java:584*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.applyChangeSet(***KnowledgeAgen
tImpl.java:185*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.applyChangeSet(***KnowledgeAgen
tImpl.java:168*)
  at
com.agencyawards2.RuleSessionProviderFactory.getSessionFactory(***RuleSe
ssionProviderFactory.java:95*)
  at
com.agencyawards2.RuleSessionProviderFactory.getProvider(***RuleSessionP
roviderFactory.java:35*)
  at com.agencyawards2.RunRules.runRules(***RunRules.java:27*)
  at com.agencyawards2.DroolsTest.main(***DroolsTest.java:40*)
Caused by:*** java.io.StreamCorruptedException*: invalid stream header:
7061636B
  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(Unknown Source)
  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
  at
org.drools.common.DroolsObjectInputStream.<init>(***DroolsObjectInputStr
eam.java:71*)
  at
org.drools.core.util.DroolsStreamUtils.streamIn(***DroolsStreamUtils.jav
a:205*)
  at
org.drools.core.util.DroolsStreamUtils.streamIn(***DroolsStreamUtils.jav
a:174*)
  at
org.drools.agent.impl.KnowledgeAgentImpl.createPackageFromResource(***Kn
owledgeAgentImpl.java:653*)
  ... 9 more

I'm running Drools 5.1.1 on my workstation in Eclipse.  When I run it
against Guvnor locally using version 5.1.1 installed as the "Guvnor
Standalone" downloaded at the same time as Drools 5.1.1 was downloaded
from the JBoss.org site, it works fine.

When I run it against the server, which was from the 5.0.1 "Guvnor
Standalone" installation, but I updated the drools-guvnor.war file to
use the new 5.1.1 version, I get the error listed above.  Based on my
research into the "KnowledgeAgent exception while trying to deserialize
KnowledgeDefinitionsPackage" error, it seems to stem from an
incompatibility between versions of Drools.

Do I need to install the 5.1.1 Guvnor Standalone to my server to bring
the versions into synch, or am I experiencing some other sort of
problem?