[rules-users] About for and inheritance

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 08:24:54 EST 2011

On 15 January 2011 11:32, Evert Penninckx <evert.penninckx at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I had an error from the drools plugin when using instanceof even
> in eval, but I'll try that again, I think I tried eval(this instanceof
> ...).

You cannot use this in an eval. The eval is "moved out" from the containing
pattern,
and there this has no meaning.

> Overloading getLikes() would be more elegant. Still, for me these are
> workarounds.
>
> Would it be that strange or unconventional to have the from only match on
> the required subclass?

Given that getLikes() is *your *choice of method producing the data, and
that
FrenchCheese is *your *choice of type for the receiver: would it be that
strange
or unconventional to expect you to employ matching types? ;-)

Type checking should not result in the silent elimination of data at
runtime. What
I would expect Drools to tell me is the incompatibility of the from and the
receiving
pattern, at compile time.

-W