[rules-users] Sudoku example doesn't work in drools 5.1

cafebabe huionn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 01:38:53 EST 2011

With reference to issue https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-2867 and
thread "Bug in Sudoku Example - with fix"
http://drools-java-rules-engine.46999.n3.nabble.com/Bug-in-Sudoku-Example-with-fix-td196315.html,
sudoku example in Drools 5.1 is not working correctly.

drools version: 5.1.1

Although the fix in "Bug in Sudoku Example - with fix" (not
(PossibleCellValue( row == $row, value == $value ) || ResolvedCellValue( row
== $row, value == $value) ) ) can fix the problem, I don't understand why
rule #6, rule #7 and rule #8 are fired before rule #3, rule #4 and rule #5
even through rules #3, #4 and #5 have higher salience. If rules #3, #4 and
#5 have been fired first as expected, then PossibleCellValue with same value
as ResolvedCellValue should have been retracted (so there is no need to
check against ResolvedCellValue in rules #6, #7 and #8)

Does it mean that salience will not be always followed strictly during
runtime? Or it is an issue to be fixed in 5.2?

I understand that dependence on salience is discouraged, however without it,
extra condition is required.