[rules-users] Guvnor another few questions...

Justin Case send_lotsa_spam_here at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 17:48:37 EDT 2011

Thank you Michael for your quick answer :) I certainly hope there will be
somewhere some answer to the other points as well.

>You can use a predicate within a pattern by selecting "Predicate" as the
>Condition Column type. These compile to inline evals. It is not however
>possible to define a predicate that is not part of a pattern.

No idea what these are :) but I'll definitely look into them.

>If, in your example, $var and $date are constants you could look into using a
>Template instead of Decision Table. You'll find there is greater flexibility to

>what DRL you can define.

I noticed I can create Templates, but I didn't think about them in that way
(templates MORE flexible??). Worth a try indeed.

>The community edition (i.e. Guvnor, not JBoss BRMS) has translations for es_ES,

>fr_FR, ja_JP, pt_BR, zh_CN and en_US. GWT compiles the resources away into
>JScript. Depending upon your locale GWT will only dispatch the relevant bundles

>to your browser.

I have the Guvnor (not JBoss BRMS) and can't see any of them. Not even the
Constants.properties which should be the "regular" language file...
Where do these guys get their files??? I (and my folks) would gladly share the
translation - if we ever come to do one.

>I find this observation strange, as the JAR is just stored as a BLOB in JCR and

>the latest version retrieved to build suggestions available for rule authoring.
>There are however known issues, logged in JIRA, with Validation not clearing
>down correctly which could lead to what you report.

Indeed the validation might be a cause, or it's not only the Validator leaving
old skeletons behind :) A few days ago a teammate of me showed me the problem in
5.2.0.M1 AND ALSO showed be a dialog list with the actual model classes AND the
old class, saying "hey but I can remove it from here and it verifies ok". Now we
all upgragded to 5.2.0.Final and we can't find that dialog anymore :( I kind of
miss it anyway, it would always be nice to see what classes you have in your
uploaded model. Did 5.2.0.Final remove it?

>Not in my experience. I often upload POJO JARs (with 5.2 at least) and am able
>to work with the classes defined therein without a restart.

Might have to do with the above problem anyway...

>I suspect you are accessing the
>"Declarative Model" resources from a Guvnor repository using the Eclipse WebDAV

>facilities (given the context of your surrounding questions). AFAIK, Declarative
>
>models are not available this way - they are stored on the Asset in the
>repository using XStream to serialise the internal object graph to XML. It might
>
>however be an interesting idea to provide a means to retrieve their DRL
>equivalent through WebDAV. If you'd like to pursue this please raise a JIRA
>capturing your requirement and details of your specification.

Correct, this is what I was expecting: some support from the Eclipse Guvnor
plugin. I can imagine however that this would be just priority pit-bottom on the
developers todo list :)

>Why is this a problem? As you say the field, presumably privately called
>"aThing" is accessible via the getter "AThing"?
>Does your DRL not compile?

Well this is not a "real" problem, it works also this way. But the field should
look like all others: the "getMyField()" accessor of the Java POJO will show
"myField", but "getAThing()" will show "AThing" - notice the different
capitalization.

Thank you,
JC