[rules-users] Guvnor another few questions...

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 03:22:01 EDT 2011

Hi Justin,

It's always nice to reply to somebody who has taken the time to try things
and learn the application.

I've added a couple of other points below.

With kind regards,

Mike

On 6 July 2011 22:48, Justin Case <send_lotsa_spam_here at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you Michael for your quick answer :) I certainly hope there will be
> somewhere some answer to the other points as well.
>
> >You can use a predicate within a pattern by selecting "Predicate" as the
> >Condition Column type. These compile to inline evals. It is not however
> >possible to define a predicate that is not part of a pattern.
>
> No idea what these are :) but I'll definitely look into them.
>
> >If, in your example, $var and $date are constants you could look into
> using a
> >Template instead of Decision Table. You'll find there is greater
> flexibility to
>
>what DRL you can define.
>
> I noticed I can create Templates, but I didn't think about them in that way
> (templates MORE flexible??). Worth a try indeed.

IMO Templates in Guvnor are, currently, more flexible than Decision Tables
simply because they allow you to define (almost) any DRL whereas the DRL
possible from a Decision Table is more restricted.

We have a long list of improvements we want to make to guided Decision
Tables which, once complete, will make them a vastly more powerful authoring
tool.

> >The community edition (i.e. Guvnor, not JBoss BRMS) has translations for
> es_ES,
>
> >fr_FR, ja_JP, pt_BR, zh_CN and en_US. GWT compiles the resources away into
> >JScript. Depending upon your locale GWT will only dispatch the relevant
> bundles
> >to your browser.
>

> I have the Guvnor (not JBoss BRMS) and can't see any of them. Not even the
> Constants.properties which should be the "regular" language file...
> Where do these guys get their files??? I (and my folks) would gladly share
> the
> translation - if we ever come to do one.
>
> You won't find the files in what is downloaded to your browser because GWT
compiles them into its .cache files in
/guvnor-webapp-5.3.0-SNAPSHOT/org.drools.guvnor.Guvnor folder.

The message sources are available in the org.drools.guvnor.client.messages
package.

> >I find this observation strange, as the JAR is just stored as a BLOB in
> JCR and
> >the latest version retrieved to build suggestions available for rule
> authoring.
> >There are however known issues, logged in JIRA, with Validation not
> clearing
> >down correctly which could lead to what you report.
>
> Indeed the validation might be a cause, or it's not only the Validator
> leaving
> old skeletons behind :) A few days ago a teammate of me showed me the
> problem in
> 5.2.0.M1 AND ALSO showed be a dialog list with the actual model classes AND
> the
> old class, saying "hey but I can remove it from here and it verifies ok".
> Now we
> all upgragded to 5.2.0.Final and we can't find that dialog anymore :( I
> kind of
> miss it anyway, it would always be nice to see what classes you have in
> your
> uploaded model. Did 5.2.0.Final remove it?
>
> If you can provide a screen-shot it might nudge people's memory better?
Unfortunately mine is blank.