[rules-users] Guvnor another few questions...

Vincent LEGENDRE vincent.legendre at eurodecision.com
Thu Jul 7 15:49:30 EDT 2011

Ideally I'd like to implement "tabular templates" where a column can be any DRL fragment with place-holders for values and the data is listed in the rows below. It's on the "to do list".

Great! If the whole column's DRL fragment generation is conditioned by the non-empty cell, that's fine.
It could be great to add some DRL fragment non-directly linked to a column (to do some links betweens patterns hidden from business user)

If the template limitation you mention is causing problems please raise a JIRA and we can look into changing the behaviour.

I am still not sure if the limitations of decision tables are good or bad. Because most of times, adding some stuff in POJO has a real business sense, simply because you need it exposed to your users. So the final POJO model is far much natural for a user (which may cause troubles to IT, forced to make some "facade" objects, but that's our job!)

For i18n :
Once compiled, you can't change the labels, even if the locale already exists. I had made this experience while trying to make the french file (for 5.1 version).
This is the way GWT works : it compiles javascript from java code, and includes the labels in it. So the labels are hard-coded in the js, and the is one js by locale.
So to change a label, or add a locale, you need to get the code and recompile it.

The Constants.class is the entry point for differents GWT's locales. There are some Constants.properties files (Constants_fr_FR.properties ...) that contains labels, used by the GWT compiler (see https://community.jboss.org/wiki/TranslationsForGuvnorGUI )

You may think that is not "real" i18n, but you suppose that there is a common and accepted definition that defines a 'real' i18n to be mandatory dynamic. GWT is not, by purpose. I guess that javascript does not have any functionalities to do that dynamically, other than doing a lot of AJAX queries for any label, which would be perfectly innefficient, especially for labels that don't change that often (See there for more infos : http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&s=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&t=DevGuideStaticStringInternationalization )

>As from 5.3 we also set the locale automatically (from the browsers
>Accept-Language setting in Guvnor.jsp

Uh I always hated that when it came without the option to change it by hand
but that's probably only me.

The 5.3 modification will rely on your browser's locale configuration, not windows' one. And you can still change it using the locale parameter in the URL.
So you can change by hand in many ways ...