[rules-users] Guvnor another few questions...

Justin Case send_lotsa_spam_here at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 07:20:14 EDT 2011

Hi Vincent,

>You can use predicates in the dialog box for editing a condition     column.
>There are 3 radio buttons for "value", "formula", and     "predicate"

Yes, but that looks like a very very limited version of the literal value.
I really don't see any benefit in the predicate, other than being a shortcut for
choosing a field literal value = true or false... am I missing something here?

>But I agree that template offer more possibilities (in term of rule
>complexity) that tables, which must handle "flat" POJO. For you     initial
>question, ie using functions in tables, the simpler way is     to add a method
>in the POJO itself, but may be not the cleaner way     ... Indeed, using tables

>often lead to some model adaptations...

We ended indeed adding a "fake" method to the POJO, and I hate it :)

>You can switch the langage used by adding       "?langage=fr_FR" parameter to
>the guvnor URL.
>You can also provide a resource file translated to your favorite       langage
>(by browsing the trunk or a grep code) in a JIRA.

Yes, and nothing happens as there's no resource file around. All these JIRAs say
nothing about WHERE in the directory structure the resource file shall be
placed... and based on Michael's answer this won't be a trivial endeavor
(recompiling the app for a language switch?? sorry, I can't call this real i8n.)

>POJO upload :
>You need to "SAVE" the package (File/Save in the package tab) after     an
>upload for the new class to be updated (and old one to be     deleted). "Verify"
>
>is not enough (was in 5.1, not in 5.2)

Uh oh. This was the missing link, thanks a lot!

> >Model... is there anything I can do about that? A Java POJO model       once
> >uploaded is just a jar blob afterwards, not usable from Eclipse anymore...
>Via Webdav it (should) works if you upload a .jar file. Works in     5.2m2 for
>me, but you still need to save the package (and create the     import list in
>the package view too, or upload a drools.package     file) to see your classes

I see, I understand now.
Well, unless one can upload a Java _source_ file or link it somehow, just seeing
the files still doesn't bring much except some comfort "look here they are".

>Guided editors are no longer supported by eclipse plugin (brl was,     gdst
>never was). Officialy due to a lack of interest from the users     ... brl was
>very badly handled anyway, so may be it is better like     this.

Well, at least we know where we stand. Editing them in both places didn't make
much sense anyway. I'm fine with editing business rules in Guvnor, if I only
could edit/link the model classes and technical rules in Eclipse...

>But you can still download it to your local drive, and edit it in     XML (if
>you really want to).

No no thank you :)

> >8. Clicking in Eclipse in the Guvnor perspective a freshly       created rule

> >flow (nothing uploaded yet) throws an exception as well...
>How can you have a "not uploaded yet" resource in the Guvnor     perspective
>(view rather that perspective I think) ?

I create a new rule flow in _Guvnor_. I land on the "upload resource" tab. The
RF is created but it's obviously empty. I do nothing there but immediately
switch to Eclipse, refresh Guvnor repo view, click on the freshly created RF,
bang.

Many thanks,
JC