[rules-users] Drools Planner examples applications running more than 10 minutes?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 02:20:48 EDT 2011

Prabakar,

The alternative would be a custom algorithm, which will be slower than
Planner.
However, you should limit how long you want Planner to solve. I'd
recommend a short time in your case, such as 30 seconds or 1 minute.
It depends on the size of your data set of course.
Planner 5.3 will support out-of-the-box construction heuristics.
If time is really short, you might you use a construction heuristic and
no tabu search or SA at all (although I 'd still recommend to do a few
seconds of TS or SA anyway).

Also, you probably don't want more Planners running at the same time
than your numberOfCpuCores - 1.
In that situation you 'll want to queue the planning jobs: there's no
jbpm-planner integration yet that does that for you yet, but patches
(pull requests) are welcome ;)

Op 14-07-11 21:39, DroolersEye schreef:
> Hi Geoffrey De Smet,
>
> thanks lot for your reply,
>
> I almost try all the examples in the examples GUI main page. Now I
> understand why it takes long time...to get the best out of best (I spend
> some time to understand the algoritms like tabu search, simulated
> annealing).
> Here I have the suituation like this, In my process flow (using JBPM5), one
> of the node providing input(pojo) to the Drools Planner and the process
> waiting for the result from from the Drools Planner(pojo) that output pojo
> is the input data for the next node in the process flow.
> In the above scenario what is your advise to me, Is Drools Planner is good
> in this flow? I worried for the time taken by the planner to complete the
> task. This will affect the whole process time.
>
> Please advise me,
>

> -----
>
> with kind regards,
> Prabakar