[rules-users] maven-drools-plugin, anyone?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:45:12 EST 2011

Angar,

I 've been looking at the code: great stuff, nice quality, nice work!
We definitely want to pull the directory maven-drools-plugin of your git
repository into the git repository droolsjbpm-tools,
if you let us.

A couple of notes:
- Are the other modules (api-tests, cities-fact-model, ...) required?
Can they be refactored into the integration tests of the
maven-drools-plugin module?
- We'll probably have to rename it from maven-drools-plugin to
drools-maven-plugin:
-- Only the build-in plugins of org.apache.maven seem to follow the
pattern maven-x-plugin.
-- All mojo plugins follow x-maven-plugin:
https://fisheye.codehaus.org/browse/mojo/tags
-- Examples in the sonatype book:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/writing-plugins-sect-custom-plugin.html
- Packaging dkp
-- "dkp" is too short and can easil conflict with "debian kernel
packaging" or something :)
-- Do we need a new packaging type? Isn't this about generating just
another set of resources in the jar? What if we want to do this in a war
(so packaging must be "war")?
-- I believe we shouldn't define a packaging type and instead, force to
user to declare the goal "compile" (which is attached after the compile
phase by default (or maybe another phase by default?))
- I don't like the "passes" thing. It violates "Keep it simple and
stupid" and makes creating the plugin difficult.
-- If I understand it correctly, it is a workaround on the declare
keyword forward referencing problem. Is there a jira for that problem in
JBRULES?
- Use filesets, see
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2011/03/configuring-plugin-goals-in-maven-3/

Anyway, let's talk :) I am #ge0ffrey on irc.codehaus.org

Op 10-03-11 10:03, Geoffrey De Smet schreef:

> Op 10-03-11 09:27, Ansgar Konermann schreef:
>> Hi Geoffrey,
>>
>> On 10.03.2011 08:58, Geoffrey De Smet wrote:
>>> There's a jira for a maven-drools-plugin with possible requirements
>>>      and I believe there already 2 implementations in the wild.
>>>
>>> IMHO:
>>> 1) It should be centralized into the droolsjbpm-tools repository.
>>> Make a pull request on that repository and I 'll peer review it.
>>>
>> It's ASL licensed - if you feel like it, fork it, pull it, do whatever
>> you like under this license. My team and I needed a starting point and
>> we found it too complicated to work with the drools source code
>> repository during the last few months/weeks.
> Understandable.
> The big changes are done, so
> the drools source code repository should be stable any day now :)
> Watch the lights on hudson:
>     https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/view/Drools%20jBPM/
>>> 2) The goals etc should follow maven naming conventions.
>>> 3) There should be integration tests.

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet