[rules-users] Parsing problems using a DSL

drdaveg drdaveg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:58:04 EDT 2011

I have run into a number of problems using a domain specific language (DSL)
on processing DSLR files.  My biggest frustration - and one I am hoping
people can provide a work-around or guidance on - is that often the Eclipse
plug-in does not allow the DRL pane, showing the DRL file, to be clicked on
(and shown.)  This sometimes happens when there are no compilation errors:
the DLR file is simply not being generated.

I have run into issues where an error like "parsing problem: contact the
support team" occurs or a null pointer exception occurs, but no error is
shown.   My approach has been to make small changes in working DSL files
(i.e., describing the translations) at a time, to minimize impact.  Can
anyone offer better approaches to building the DSL grammar?

On a related issue, many documents cite using DSL and regular expressions
for code-rewriting and - while I find documentation on antlr 3 masks for
doing some regular expressions - is the common re-writing task of using "or"
- as in

My object (Car|Bus|Buyer|Salesman)

supported in any way other than seperate lines for "object Car", "object
Bus", etc?  Thanks!