[rules-users] Parsing problems using a DSL

drdaveg drdaveg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:14:08 EDT 2011

Trying to bind a variable on the left hand side is a specific example that
causes no error to be reported but no DRL to be generated.  I can do the
binding if I have one re-writing statement per possibility,

i.e.,

There is a first object = object_1 : Car()

but not if I generalize it:

There is a {nth} object = object_{nth} : Car

I have seen limited cases where code seems to be able to be generated with
the generalized approach, but it seems to generally fail.  My goal here is
to use one re-writing statement to handle any number of bindings on
variables and objects, as opposed to the cross-product.  I.e., I want to
avoid

There is a first object with a first field {field} = object_1 : Car(
field_1_1 : {field} )
There is a second object with a first field {field} = object_2 : Car(
field_2_1 : {field} )
There is a first object with a second field {field} = object_1 : Car(
field_1_2 : {field} )
There is a second object with a second field {field} = object_1 : Car(
field_2_2 : {field} )

since I might have 4 matched objects with 5 matched fields - and there is
plenty of other matching logic to consider.  Thanks!