[rules-users] FW: typical rules application

Abhay B. Chaware Abhay.Chaware at kpitcummins.com
Mon May 16 03:45:12 EDT 2011

Anyone ?
________________________________
From: Abhay B. Chaware
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:17 PM
To: 'Rules Users List'
Subject: typical rules application

Hi
I am just trying to get a feel of size of a typical rules application. How many low-to-medium complex rules a typical rules application will have ? I understand and agree that it totally depends upon the application and business needs, but I am trying to get a feel of if rules is the correct solution to a problem and if that can be determined by number of rules.
e.g.
if to satisfy a business need, I wrote a rules application and ended up writing say 20 medium-complex rules and in another case, I wrote a rules application and ended up writing say 10,000 low/medium complex rules
which one of these two cases sound like real, logical candidate for a rules based app  and why ?  Is there a rule of thumb, that "x" number of rules is a good number for an application to qualify under rules technology ?

-abhay