[rules-users] Map errors and quirks

zstlaw zstlawre at akamai.com
Tue Oct 11 15:00:35 EDT 2011

Ok finished doing some in depth testing on 5.4.  I was wrong on a few
accounts above the internal variable access to a hash still fails only in a
different way.

First off I added a few new methods to my Mailbox object just for testing :

// returns an statically defined inner enum
public FolderType getDefaultFolderType() {
	return FolderType.INBOX;
}

// returns an external enum
public MailType getMailType() {
	return MailType.WORK;
}

// takes a statically defined inner enum and returns an external enum
public MailType getMailTypeForFolderType(FolderType pType) {
	return MailType.WORK;
}

Test I found that generally enums work much better but internal defined
instances still cause problems.  Also there was some asymmetry where
FolderType.INBOX != $folderType was legal but $folderType !=
FolderType.INBOX was not.

I will start opening issues in JIRA but expect I may need to open one or two
large issues and a lot of sub issues to keep clarity.  In particular the
issue with having an assignments and a variable in the same row continues to
be vexing (i.e. $myvar : getFoo($otherVar) always has problems evaluating
$otherVar since it wants to check it as a inner field of the return type and
not a local variable passed to the procedure call.)

Hope some of this can get in the next build.  I have some huge projects
coming up where we really want to use drools but I am having to really
simplify our data to work around some of these issues.

Thanks,
Zack