[rules-users] Thoughts about rule authoring

Bruno Freudensprung bruno.freudensprung at temis.com
Mon Sep 19 05:04:51 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking time answering my message. Now I realize it was not
very clear.
"Person" was never provided as an option, but I would love it did so
:-). If you had time, let me explain in a few words.

For the moment, Drools completion engine provides quite the same
functionality for the rule language an IDE provides for the Java
language. Don't get me wrong, as a Java developper I think it is really
fantastic! And, as a Java developer, I know that know the code
completion engine cannot suggest anything about the value of a String
("/Person/Jim").

What I wanted to say is: as Drools is not only targetted to Java
developers, "business users" might expect (and they actually do)
something more. They know that rules will apply on their data. Data
exists and "business users" know their data (they know about that
"/Person/Jim" does exist). However, as they don't know anything about
the impossibility in Java to suggest the content of a String (they are
not Java developers), they don't understand why the completion engine
can't keep on suggesting "/Person/Jim". Somehow they have Google search
in mind, that starts suggesting words as soon as you type your query.
Here in Drools it could be even more accurate since the suggestion
engine knows that the "/Person/name" String is wanted for the "name"
field of the "Annotation" class. So maybe it could offer a suggestion
hook method, even for Strings. As a Java developer, I could implement it
for my business users. This would prevent business users from having to
write Java-developer-oriented solutions you proposed (and I thank you
for your proposals by the way :-)).

I say I have the impression to be "in the middle" because I could have a
Person class (and I probably should), but I can't have a class for every
first name (Jim)

I know this is completely out of the scope of a rule engine, however it
would fit Drools editor so well that I wanted to say it.

Anyway, sorry for bothering you with my "delirium" ;-).

Best regards,

Bruno.