[rules-users] Planning Under Uncertainty

Chris Spencer chrisspen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:55:43 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Davide Sottara <dsotty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm adding support native for uncertainty to drools: the code is in a
> sub-project repository called "drools-chance". I'll probably commit an
> update next week, supporting the declaration of beans with distributions as
> fields.

That's great to hear. I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in this
functionality.

> Full support in the rules, instead, will take some more time. I would like
> to understand better what you mean by "uncertain planning": are you
> considering actions with uncertain preconditions / effects or both? or are
> you referring to randomized search algorithms?
> Of course, you can always manage uncertainty explicitly, using additional
> facts and calculating the probabilities, but I would not recommend that
> unless you need a working prototype very quickly.

I'm mainly interested in planning with uncertain effects, similar to
what I've found in most probabilistic graphplan implementations (e.g.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~avrim/pgp.html).

> Best,
> Davide
>
> p.s.
> The paper you found is old and obsolete, definitely not worthy looking at (
> shame on the main author ;) )

Heh, I'm glad you're still involved with the community after all these
years. Thanks for not dropping the research. I've seen a lot of
interesting graduate research just die as soon as the project/thesis
is over.

Regards,
Chris