[rules-users] Rule firing issue in Drools 5.1.1...

prashant.badhe prashant.badhe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:29:33 EDT 2012

Hi,

Following are details of our configurations for Drools:

1. Drools v 5.1.1
2. Drools statefull kSession is initialized using Spring framework
3. We are using Resource scanner through change-set.xml. Scan interval is
set as 1 second. drools.Clocktype=realtime. drools.agent.newInstance=false.
4. There are about 8 DRL resources in the repository folder that resource
scanner scans.
5. Each DRL file has multiple rules. Within each DRL file, I am using same
aganda-group.

Issue:
After web server startup, it is observed that rules from some of the DRL
files fires. But, rules from 1 DRL file DO NOT fire at all.
There are no compilation errors/warnings appearing in log files after web
server startup.

If I remove this DRL file from repository (this is the location which
resource scanner scans) and copy it again after say 2-3 seconds, then the
rules from this file starts firing when appropriate facts are introduced in
WM.

Earlier I was using fireUntilHalt() to trigger rules, but now I am issuing
fireAllRules(). This was changed as I  observed a 100% CPU consumption issue
when fireUntilHalt() even when the application is in idle state. See
"http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/fireUntilHalt-is-doing-busy-wait-and-consuming-100-of-one-CPU-core-td3844714.html"

I am using resource scanner feature to dynamically add/remove DRL files
without requiring restart of web server on production servers.

Does anybody faced similar issue in Drools 5.1.1 final?
Does resource scanner requires re-initialization of kSession after
add/update of DRL file in repository folder?

Thanks in advance,
Prashant Badhe