[rules-users] [Drools Planner] Proof-of-Concept Stock-planning System

Reinis drools at orbit-x.de
Tue Apr 3 17:10:19 EDT 2012

Hello,

I want to ask you, guys, if you could guess if it is possible or
probable to build such a System with Drools Planner:

The system shall plan the best time where the transport unit (TU) has to
be input into stock system to reach set delivery deadlines, utilization
of resources and load balancing of bottle necks (all expressed as rules).

Most of things (resource capacity, route within the stock system, etc.)
are given and constant facts. Actually there is only one planning
variable - time interval of a transport unit characterizing retention
period within a given Resource. Like this:

TU#1 is in Resource #A from 11:00 till 11:30 <- the optimal interval has
to be planned

TU#1 is in Resource #B from 11:45 till 12:00 <- the optimal interval has
to be planned

TU#1 is in Resource #C from 12:30 till 13:00 <- the optimal interval has
to be planned

I have following problem size and constraints:
- TUs per day: 160'000
- Amount of resources a TU travel through: 3
- Average smallest time interval: 15 Min
- Planning period: 09:00 - 16:00 = 8 hours = 32 intervals
- Initial planning window: 4-6 hours
- continuous planning multiple batch execution time during the day after
addition and/or retraction of number of TUs: 20 minutes

So the problem size would be(?):
(TUs * resources) ^ intervals = (160'000 * 3) ^ 32 = 6.305500958×10¹⁸¹

I know there is no one answer to this question. I would like only to get
your feeling on this problem. Would you take on solving this sort of
problem with drools planner?

thanks and br
Reinis