[rules-users] global identifier

Welsh, Armand AWelsh at StateStreet.com
Wed Apr 18 23:30:58 EDT 2012

Based on you example, you might want to consider defining a global and passing similarly the to what you show, and in your code where you initialize the KnowledgeSession, set the global from your Java code.  In this way, you can uniquely identify each session using a uid that you define in your own code.

Like this:

Import java.util.UUID

global UUID uid

rule 'something'
                Notification.sendSMS(uid);
End

In JAVA:

private UUID firerulesForSession(StatefulKnowledgeSession kSession) {

final String sourceMethod = "firerulesForSession";

// generate a globally unique ID.  Preferably this should be passed in as an argument.
final UUID uid = UUID.randomUUID();

       kSession.setGlobal("uid",uid);

      log.fine("Preparing Command Factory");
      List<Command<?>> cmds = new ArrayList<Command<?>>();

      cmds.add(CommandFactory.newInsertElements(facts));
      cmds.add(CommandFactory.newFireAllRules());

      // start a new process instance
      try
      {
         log.info("Firing Rules: ");
         // kSession.execute(getFacts(bbSecurity, packageName));
         kSession.execute(CommandFactory.newBatchExecution(cmds));
      }
      catch (Throwable e)
      {
         log.throwing(sourceClass, sourceMethod, e);
      }

       return uuid;
}

Of course you will need to adapt for your solution, and a GUID (UUID) may be overkill for what you're doing, and since the kSession.execute() is not an asynchronous call, you need to deal with the uuid before firing the rules, so that the sendSMS() function will know what the UUID means.