[rules-users] Is it safe to 'build' a knowledgebase (compile rules) in a web app?

groovenarula gnarula1 at la-z-boy.com
Thu Apr 19 00:45:05 EDT 2012

Hello,

In our environment we need to develop a framework wherein we would have
about a dozen rule templates whose data will be provided by users using
spreadsheets. Basically users will upload excel workbooks containing 10-12
worksheets and we'll be using ExternalSpreadsheetCompiler to generate the
appropriate DRLs that will then be 'add'ed to a KnowledgeBuilder class to
create a KnowledgeBase. We need to provide this capability use a web
application deployed in Tomcat.

Question - Are KnowledgeBuilder/ExternalSpreadSheetCompiler thread safe ? Is
it safe to develop this KnowledegeBase build process in a web application ?
If these classes are not thread safe, can someone please advise me on how to
make this framework single threaded ? It's perfectly acceptable for the
framework to be single threaded (essentially if more than a single session
tries to upload a workbook, they will have to wait a few mins if there are
other workbooks being processed ahead of theirs). I know the last question
is not drools centric, but it would be great to hear from the gurus on how
best I can make the build/compile process single threaded.

Please let me know if this is a safe approach to take or if there are ways
to make this approach safe !

Thanks in advance,

-G