[rules-users] Rules and Ruleflow GroupS

Welsh, Armand AWelsh at StateStreet.com
Mon Apr 23 13:03:17 EDT 2012

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah.. my rules deal with data transformation.  We convert vendor feed data to internal data for making trade decisions.  So we have large data sets that need to be evaluated.   So instead of inserting all data into working memory from our lookup tables in our DB, I have lookup rules that get just the data needed for the datasets.  These rules insert just those lookup facts that are needed for the rules.  Since many rules can share a common lookup criteria, I don't lookup use the from condition on each rule, instead I use the from condition on the lookup rule, that extracts the facts I need and inserts just those facts into working memory.  The reason for this, is that inserting into working memory is a costly process. So inserting 100 facts is less intensive than inserting 10,000 facts, when I only need 100 for that specific set of data.

Most lookups can happen before any processing, because the bound conditions are set before execution, and they don't change.  However, I have a small set of lookups that occur more than once, because they are based on fields that are generated by other rules, and each time the value changes, I need to the lookup to be reactivated, but I could benefit from having my lookup rules in their own rule flow group, and a small subset of those also in the data manipulation rule flow group, so that they get preloaded before any data processing decisions are made, and then they re-fire during data processing the dependent facts change.

I guess I will just have to use a processing control fact to prevent firing my lookup rules until I know the lookup has either completed, or failed to find lookup values.

Regards,
Armand

-----Original Message-----
From: rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org [mailto:rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org] On Behalf Of Vincent LEGENDRE
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 9:26 AM
To: Rules Users List
Subject: Re: [rules-users] Rules and Ruleflow GroupS

No you can't ... or I really don't know how ..

You can duplicate a ruleflow group in a ruleflow (if your rule is only dependant of others rules in the same "group"), but if a rule is a subpart of multiple groups ... well ... I think you can't avoid to write your own agenda filter, or try to use agenda groups.