[rules-users] Difference between Rule Base and Knowledge Base

womuji cmregister at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 10:06:23 EST 2012

We are upgrading Drools Core from 5.1.1 to 5.3.1 and stilling using the old
RuleBase API, but we got Null Pointer Exception when running rules:
-----------------
Caused by: [Error: wm.startProcess($phase.id): null]
[Near : {... WorkingMemory wm = drools.getW ....}]
	at
org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.startProcess(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:1073)

where our DRL file has content:
rule "Set ruleflow"
    salience 10
    when
        $phase : Phase()
    then
        WorkingMemory wm = drools.getWorkingMemory();
        wm.startProcess($phase.id);