[rules-users] Drools 5.3 partitioned rule base

gboro54 gboro54 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:23:12 EST 2012

We are writing a billing system using Drools to evaluate orders placed during
the day(this is a month to date process which will run nightly and we will
be bringing a real-time solution online later this year after we rewrite the
existing). Base fees of these orders can happen in parallel and in no way
affect one another, however we have price caps which do depend on the order
in which the cap is applied to the order(for certain conditions on an order
a surcharge may be created if a cap is applied). My past experience will
Drools has been it is quicker to do as much evaluation up front rather then
loop of a list of Orders and fire one at a time. However my experience in
running Drools with this load is limited(by the end of the month we will
have to process 15 million orders).  I am open to suggestions on the best
way to do this. Additionally orders are reprocessed each night as orders
from a current day may affect the pricing of an order from previous days(i.e
a tier rate may apply, etc.)

On a side note I found that the issue is a NPE exception one of my rules
which only occurs if I partition the rule base(I am not sure why this would
make a difference).