[rules-users] Future events

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:26:10 EDT 2012

   An event represents something that already happened (past), so there is
no such thing as a future event. You can have a fact that represents
something that is scheduled to happen in the future, but that is not an
event, and it can change as it is just data. Events are immutable.

   For instance: airport. You can have a flight scheduled to leave tomorrow
at 08:00am, from gate B1. That schedule might change, because the flight
can be delayed, cancelled, change gates, etc. It is just a fact in your
system (e.g. ScheduledFlight). But when the flight actually departs the
gate, then the system can have an event like FlightDepartedFromGate() that
says the flight left the gate B1 at 08:02am. This is immutable, because it
registers something that happened.

   Edson

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM, lexsoto <lexsoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have this rule:
>

> An event is inserted that has a timestamp in the future, the rule is fired.
> This looks like a bug, because the sliding time window has not yet met the
> timestamp of the event.
> I expect the rule to fire not immediately but only when the time reaches
> the
> event time.
>
> Is my assumption/understanding correct?

  Edson Tirelli