[rules-users] Future events

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:54:45 EDT 2012

   The reason is because the engine will not queue up events and wait for
the correct time to deal with them. The engine assumes events always
represent past times. But for past events, I am sure the window is
respected. If you have a rule that counts the number of events in the last
5 hours, an event that happened 5 hours and 1 minute ago will not be in the
total count.

   Edson

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM, lexsoto <lexsoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Edson for your reply, however I am still not clear about why the
> rule
> is firing if the time stamp of the event falls outside the time window.
> This can happen, for example, if the event originates in a machine with
> clock slightly ahead. I think the problem also occurs if the time is in the
> past; I would not want  to take action on a future or old event.
>
> I understand that events are immutable, and I am not changing the event in
> any way.  However, I expect the "sliding time window" to be changing along
> with the system clock until it reaches the timestamp of the event.
> My question still unanswered, why is the rule firing outside its time
> window? Is there a way to make this work?  Any advice about how to address
> this use case?
>
> Thanks

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development