[rules-users] MVEL interpretation

Mike Melton mike.melton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:04:59 EDT 2012

My team is using Drools on a government project. As is usually the case
with government projects, the security folks have their hands in every
aspect of the project. They have big questions on MVEL, but I'm going to
try to boil them down to one simple question:

At what stage(s) of Drools's lifecycle does MVEL interpretation occur? I
think that the compilation engine interprets the MVEL at compile time and
converts it to generated Java code, though I don't know enough about the
internals of the engine to say for sure. Stated another way, does Drools
interpret rules written using the MVEL dialect at runtime?

Thanks
Mike