[rules-users] MVEL interpretation

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:45:00 EDT 2012

Not being an authority on MVEL's usage in Drools, I can't answer your
question. But I'm somewhat surprised about the motives of your "security
folks" to question "runtime interpretation". Therefore, I'll digress and
highlight a couple of notions. You might discuss them with your boffins.

Take Java. It compiles into byte code, which is interpreted by a JVM (and may
or may not be hotspot compiled at runtime). So, all of your application is
subject to "runtime interpretation".

If you look at the Drools implementation of Rete, you'll find that it represents
rule conditions as a node network, a representation of logic by data. Thus,
any WM updates are (more or less) interpretative.

Compared to these two, any other questions w.r.t. runtime
interpretation  rather secondary, don't you think?

-W