[rules-users] Lots of org.drools.common.ScheduledAgendaItem instances in memory

Werner Stoop wstoop at gmail.com
Tue May 29 04:22:38 EDT 2012

Thanks Wolfgang,

Yes, we do have a lot of events/hour, because it is a complex network we're
monitoring. Our system has been running for some time, but the Drools rules
engine is a new addition to attempt to manage some of the complexity.

Perhaps I should clarify events and alarms: Our main system tracks alarms
within the network, but each alarm may have several events, like an event
when the alarm is first raised, an event when its status goes from major to
critical and an event when the alarm is cleared. So the main entity in our
rules is an Alarm, and whenever we get an event we insert a new Alarm into
the knowledge base if we've never seen the Alarm before, or update the
Alarm if we have.

We have one other rule that removes all Alarms whose status haven't changed
for 24 hours, regardless of whether they have cleared or not. This rule's
syntax is very similar to the one from my previous email. We specifically
have this rule to try and keep the fact count in the rules engine
manageable.

  rule "Old, Inactive Alarm?"
  timer(int: 30m 30m)
  salience -10
  when
$a : Alarm(severity != "cleared")
  then
double lastUpdate = minutesSince($a.getEventTime());
if(lastUpdate > 24 * 60) {
retract($a);
}
  end

So what you said would explain the memory usage. All Alarms end up in "Old,
Inactive Alarm?"'s queue waiting for 24 hours.

I'm going to disable this rule "Old, Inactive Alarm?" for the time being.
Unfortunately the nature of the problem means that I'll have to monitor it
for a day or two before I can draw any conclusions.

It seems that the proper solution to this problem would be to get more
memory.

Thank you,
Werner