[rules-users] Snapshot of drools engine's state

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 09:08:16 EDT 2013

On 12/08/2013, IK81 <ml at kofler.me> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. The way you described this is actually how my
> proof-of-concept works. However, I implemented it using two timestamps.
> First I use the @timestamp annotation for the property of the event. This
> property is set by the event source. Second, I persist a second timestamp
> that reflects the timestamp of the session's pseudo clock when I inserted
> the event. From my naive feeling I need both for a reproducible replay
> starting with the last snapshot of the session.

The (original) @timestamp property is the one used by the Engine,
right? Then the real or pseudo time of insertion is irrelevant
(except, perhaps, for logging, but then you don't need to save it in
the event).

Another issue. What is the recovery meant to cure? Application and/or
Drools bugs? In this case: what if the faithful recovery runs into the
same bug? If it is a HW glitch, redundancy might be the way to go. For
powerfail, there's UPS...

If not losing a single beat is essential you are most likely not on
the right track with a system that can't claim to be free of errors,
for any "community release". (Support only solves problems only after
they become manifest.) OTOH, if you can, it might be better to think
about a way to start again with a minimum of disturbance. It depends
on the app domain, of course...

-W