[rules-users] How to track constraint truth [was: Non short circuit ANDing]

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:21:39 EST 2013

On 04/02/2013, Lance <lance.leverich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the gentle reply. My initial reply was made without having read
> your latest example. The "experimental" syntax was what had me getting
> anxious, as I already have to fend off the Java developers that want to
> "just write the rules in Java" (i.e. they don't want to have to think in a
> non-procedural manner).

Keep it up :)

> As for the eval() of old, I thought that it was a discouraged practice to
> use it; precisely because it was considered to be non-normative in its
> approach. Again, it may have just been my interpretation of the
> documentation that was out-of-line with the mainstream thinking here.

Up to Drools 5.1.x the constraint syntax was rather restricted, so the
eval() was the last resort, to be used in case the native DRL wouldn't
let you. Meanwhile, distinctions have disappeared, so that "any"
boolean expression should be possible as a constraint, not needing the
eval wrapper.

eval() was (also) discouraged because it wouldn't let the engine use
more efficient fact evaluations by indexing.