[rules-users] Found solution vs actual optimum [planner]

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 03:17:10 EST 2013

Op 05-02-13 04:25, john poole schreef:
> Thanks. If the "Best score over time" line doesn't flatline, does that mean
> it needs more time or that the configuration isn't ever going to produce a
> good solution?
Define "good" solution :)
- Close to optimal: impossible to know the optimal for most realistic
problems (and extrapolating quality from easier, smaller problems is broken)
- Better than other algorithms: that's why planner has the benchmarker.

My advice is to use the benchmarker and configure different algo's (see
the examples *SolverBenchmark.xml) and a distinct set of datasets.
Then a bad solution should stick out like a sore thumb in the benchmark
report.