[rules-users] Drools Planner Chaining/Cloning Documentation Suggestion

Trails taylor.mathewson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:20:16 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm new to drools planner and liking it a lot!

I spent some hours last night cracking my head on something.  I have
switched my domain from planning variable pointing to planning facts to
using chained planning variables.

I ran into a problem with score corruption, which was surprising as I am
still using a Simple Score Calculator.

It turns out my problem was when cloning the solution the planning variable
(now chained) was still pointing to entities in the old solution.  I was
following along the user guide when I fell over this.

I'd like to humbly suggest that the drools planner user guide include a
note/warning/something in the chained variable section about ensuring that
when cloning the solution, the chained planning variables are updated to
point to the cloned planning entities.  There is currently no mention of
solution cloning in this section, and the code included in the doc does not
mention this either.

This is illustrated in the examples, e.g. TSP, but it's in the Solution, not
the planning entities.

Just hoping to save others the head scratching.

Thanks!
Taylor