[rules-users] Stateless or stateful knowledge session in drools server

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Thu Feb 14 11:49:19 EST 2013

I can't say much about drools server. I went for a Spring web app wrapping a stateful session, and exposing itself to .NET applications via a SOAP API and a bit of REST. But that's cos I like Spring. :)

If you do need to work with a stateful session, you shouldn't need to 'isolate' any data as such. You can insert facts relating to all users into working memory and then include the user ID on a request when you insert it into working memory. That way, you just need your rules to have constraints that match a user fact to some other fact on which you're making decisions. Treat it a bit like a join in a database. You keep data relating to all your users in the database, but when you query the database, you join/filter on the user ID, or some other relevant key.

Steve